Sunday, March 15, 2009

Good Service - Xbox 360 Replacement

I received the following good service story from my friend Glenn when he tried to help his son repair their Xbox 360 console.


Hey folks,

Here's the rundown on my experience with replacing my son's Xbox 360 game console...

It all started in December last year when my son's Xbox 360 game console decided to just quit operating, and i think there's a term for it in the gaming wold..."the red ring of death", where Xbox 360 game consoles stop operating and a flashing red light appears around the on-off switch...

Being a good father, I took it upon myself to find out how to get it serviced as unfortunately enough, the one-year local warranty on our machine expired just before it quit on us...hmmmm, i wonder why?

I then went to Funan at North Bridge Road to investigate options of getting it repaired, which I found at the 6th level next to Challenger store. A simple sign on a standee at the counter says "FOR XBOX QUERIES, PLEASE CALL> 8004481330", but I still decided to ask the guy behind the counter if i could get it repaired there. I got a prompt reply "This is not an Xbox repair center sir..." and pointed at the sign. (Editor's note - Glenn was probably hoping he could send the set in on the spot)

I called the number after a few days as I forgot to write down the serial number of the console.

During the call, I only waited for a few rings before a service officer answered my call and politely introduced himself and asked how may he be of assistance. Plus 10 points here folks!!!

I proceeded to give him my particulars, the serial number of the console and the problem with it. He even registered it for me as well to ascertain the warranty's validity, as I also forgot to do this one year ago...as expected. He ran through his FAQ manual and gave his best suggestion on how to try certain operations to check if the console is still salvageable, but I quickly asked "Well sir, how much would it cost to get it fixed if this all fails as it is beyond the warranty period?"

"Fixed" is somehow not mentioned but "replaced" was suggested, as expected again... it turned out that it would cost me S$159 to get the console replaced and if I agree to this, the transaction would require a valid credit card in order to proceed with the matter...

I gave him my credit card particulars and proceeded to agree with the terms as verbally noted by the service personnel on the phone... I was also informed that it would take two (2) working days for this whole process which I also agreed to.

After the whole question and answer exercise, I asked the service officer for an email of a receipt for the transaction which they promptly sent right after. Plus 10 points here again!

Two days later, a spanking (new?) replacement unit was handed over to me, after I surrendered my old Xbox 360 unit at the same Funan shop where i first got the query number from. The person behind the counter even registered my replacement machine after issuing it to me. A one-year warranty covers this replacement set as well, as stated in the email receipt plus a month's worth of free Xbox360 Live vouchers as a token of appreciation.

My son and I are now enjoying the latest Xbox 360 game "Halo Wars" in this replacement set. Nice game btw, if you're a Halo fan.

Overall experience I'd say was good if not better than the usual crap that I get from other online service desks. I'm not gonna name names, eherm...sam eherm... sung... eherm...!!!

So if you folks need to replace your Xbox 360 consoles, just call the number and not ask any stupid questions to the guy behind the desk ok, and help avoid any untoward situations or embarrassment.

Here are the steps again:
1) Call the number 8004481330 between 9am-5pm;
2) Make ready your xbox 360 console's serial number located either on the original box or the machine itself marked as "SN: XXXXX"; oh btw, I forgot to mention that if your machine is still within the warranty period, it will be replaced for free plus a 90-day warranty or the remaining original warranty validity period, whichever is longer;
3) Unplug all wires, cables, accessories and the hard drive for you to bring the original set to be replaced at Funan the IT Mall, 6th floor, the shop next to challenger store after two (2) days of waiting;
4) Make sure you request for a receipt by email after you've agreed to get your console replaced via the credit card payment/transaction;
5) Have the replacement console checked if it does power-up and there're no funny noises while it's operating;
6) And lastly, don't ask any other unrelated questions to the guy behind the counter;

Hope this helps other folks who need to go through the same experience...

Got a customer service experience to share? Email me to get your story published! Do remember to read the submission guidelines and how we rate establishments before submitting.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment