Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good Experience - PC Themes, Sim Lim Square

I received another two more stories by email and I want to drive home some points. Here is the first story.

Name : GZ (user chose to use only initials)
Date & Time : June 2007.
Place/Website address : PC Themes at Sim Lim Square
Person Serving Me : Gary
What Did I Intend to Buy/What I Bought : DIY PC
My Experience : My PC setup of 5 years broke down after short circuiting my motherboard and graphics card. At that time I have most of my project files stored in the PC, which meant that I has to get a new one ASAP in order not to delay my projects.

It was a trip to internet borrowing my girlfriend's laptop while I try and finish some of the more urgent projects with my thumbdrive (Which is backdated as I didn't do a backup for some time) I sourced and looked around for a PC setup around my budget (about $1.2k) It was during that time I heard of PC Themes from Sim Lim Square. For a while now I have purchased my old setup from another store called Best Bargain, which at that time was reputable with their clean cut service, however for some odd reasons, there's a change in the management and location and Best Bargain now is definitely not "Best Bargain" with their pricing.

I'm quite skeptical about this new shop at first even though people rave about the pricing and their good service, since coming from Sim Lim Square, where most of the shops are always known as "Black Shops" (Editor's note - A black shop is basically a black listed shop, due to unethical or dishonest practises).

As time was running short for me, I made a trip down after school to look around. After a bit of walking about I managed to locate PC Themes, where it was tucked away in a corner of Sim Lim Square, unlike other more well known competitors which are much more visible at the front of the levels.

As it was a weekday afternoon, there were a few customers, but not packed. Gary came over and talk to me, asking what I would want. I told him about getting a new PC and he promptly reach over the price lists and hand it over to me, passing me a highlighter and ask me to take my pick slowly. As I went through the list and took my picks, I saw that indeed the pricing was cheaper than most shops around the area. After I hand over the highlighted list to Gary, he took a look at it and immediately commented that he did not have stocks for the graphics card I wanted (MSI 8800GTS) which made my heart sank as I thought I might have to buy from some other places. However, he look up to me and said he will try and find one for me, but no promises. After confirming the list I wanted, which I had to add, he was honest in his dealings as he tried to dissuade me from getting a higher wattage PSU (Power Supply Unit) and assured me that the 550W version will do just fine powering the whole system, he proceed to call on his phone and then went out of the shop, giving a smile and states to give him a minute. He returned around 10 minutes later, at which on his hands were the 8800GTS and some other stuff that were not present in the shop.

As I paid the price of the system, Gary explained to me to give them about an hour or two while they fixed up my computer(they waived the fixing charges after I tried to bargain with them) and would call me once it's done. I left the shop and went around the area doing sight seeing and after slightly an hour, Gary called my mobile and said the computer is ready.

I went back to the store and was attended to by Gary again, at which he showed me the system specs of the computer, double confirming that it's the list of things I wanted. He also open up the casing and point out individually where are the components, before briefing me on what are the extras left and he has packed into the motherboard box. To me this is important because I paid the full price for the items and I do not like it if it's missing from the packaging, and trust me, some shops take out the extras and sell it. After confirming everything is working and fine (and he took time to arrange the cables inside the casing neatly), he reached under the table and pull out a whole bag of boxes, all of which are the boxes for the component parts and he placed the casing into the box and proceed to seal it up, ready for taking home. He even offered to hail a cab for me.

It was definitely a fuss-free experience for me and their patience in dealing with the customers are obvious, there's not a time I see them shouting or raising their voices at the customers, even if some of the customers are a bit rowdy. Needles to mention, they still currently have one of the best pricing around and I'm a frequent customer to their shop. In fact, 2 of my friends have bought their own PC from them through me as I still find their services and prices are top notch, and tomorrow another friend is going to buy a PC and of course the place would be, PC Themes.

All these stories about Sim Lim's black shops tainted the shops in the building, but PC Themes is definitely the white sheep of the whole pack.

Overall Rating : 3 1/2 Bouquets

Editor's note - Even after more than a year, it seems PC Themes' good service is remembered and people will go back there to patronise establishments that provide good and reliable service. I agree with the 3 1/2 Bouquets rating at this point as they went about their job professionally, ethically, honestly and followed through the entire process right up till the time the machine was collected by the author of this story.

Got a customer service experience to share? Email me to get your story published! Do remember to read the submission guidelines and how we rate establishments before submitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment